Welcome To My Crib
The Glenlivet had undergone a multi-million pound 18-month refurbishment of its distillery and visitors centre, transforming it into a destination for whisky and single malt fans across the world.
We were tasking with raising awareness of the newly refurbished distillery and visitor experiences. The key was driving global conversation about The Glenlivet distillery by reaching a 25% share of voice benchmarked against top 5 competitors over 1-month period.
We needed to demonstrate how The Glenlivet is a brand that owns ‘originality’ and ‘breaks conventions’, following on from the award-winning Cocktail Capsules.
Social-led content featuring nostalgic content from the 90’s and early 00’s was regularly trending on social media, and iconic shows like ‘Friends’ were once again trending globally on Netflix. 25–45-year-olds were seeking out nostalgia.
Getting thousands of consumers to the visitor centre in Scotland during a global pandemic was going to be a challenge. We needed to lean into a content-first idea that would showcase the stunning venue whilst reaching as many people as possible.
We knew several competitor brands were launching their refurbished distilleries during the same month (featuring larger investments in the refurbishments) so we needed to stand out and open our doors in an original, ownable way that only The Glenlivet could.
Leaning into the global trend in nostalgia, what better to show off your shiny new home that call on cult noughties property-porn show – MTV Cribs.
Pangolin negotiated and secured a world-first content partnership with MTV to create an exclusive five-minute episode that would take viewers around the distillery in the true “Cribs” style.
As with every great Cribs episode, we needed a host to take the viewer around the home, but we weren’t quite sure the Master Distiller, however charming he is, could hold up against Mariah and 50 Cent. So, staying true to our Scottish heritage we signed up Scottish comedian, and voice of Love Island, Iain Stirling. Not only a proud Scot, but an obsessive whisky fan.
• 2 million+ views of hero episode
• Average view duration was over 3 minutes (20% above MTV average)
• 7 million+ in impressions across all social handles
• Share of Voice: 30% share of voice benchmarked against top 5 competitors during the month of launch (KPI: 25%)
• Own ‘originality’: first brand to ever create a limited-edition episode with MTV Cribs
• 90% of earned coverage included messaging about being the “original Speyside single malt”
• Over 2,000 link clicks back to The Glenlivet social page from target audience
• MTV content views delivered 65% against 25-44 age and gender target
Earned Media Specific KPIs
• 15 pieces of coverage in Top Tier media including The Sun, Shortlist and The Press and Journal (KPI: 10)
• 30 pieces of coverage in Tier 2 media (KPI: 20)
• 100% of coverage included distillery imagery (KPI: 90%)
• 85% of coverage included messaging about refurbishment (KPI: 80%)
“A truly original way to launch our new brand home. Pangolin once again showed why The Glenlivet is a brand that breaks convention.”